Friday 13 June 2008

New Orleans

Up early and a brunch of Gumbo. Fabulous.

Looked round the French quarter. New Orleans and the surrounding area were fascinating and I sense an extraordinary place to live in.






















Wasn’t hard to find signs of hurricane Katrina. Most of the areas with money are up and running. But a massive swathe of the poorer communities are still in tatters. I’ve spent time in places like Afghanistan and Kosovo. There is an air of the same in these estates. Communities shattered. And just down the road are million dollar weekend houses with motorboats parked outside.







Rain opened up. It was brutal. Could not see more than a couple of feet. Short and sharp.









Stopped at Fort Pike honoring Brigadier Zebulon Pike. Could be a name for Carol and Iain? Old French fort protecting the waterways.







Headed out to Honey Swamp and was shown round by an ex US Marine Corps Captain who studied biology many years before. Spooky similarity. Fascinating tour. Alligaotrs in abundance.
















Then headed off towards Memphis via Mississippi.

4 comments:

Enobear said...

Cool pics

anita said...

great pics from french quarters...makes me want to bag my bags NOW...

Anonymous said...

I just wandered here and saw you visited Hot Springs, about two hours North of me and one of my favorite places, if not my favorite, in the world. My husband proposed to me 11 years ago on the brick promanade overlooking the Hot Springs park, and we visit several times a year..isn't it great? So much history there....I could go on for days. And I see you went to Memphis, too? But you forgot to mention that's where Johnny Cash found his way, too....shame shame. Come on back to Arkansas sometime,and we'll take ya to the dirt track for a southern Saturday night, ya hear?

Daneeta Loretta Jackson said...

These pictures make me so home sick, which is a feeling that is growing daily for me. Can't wait to be there again.