Tuesday 18 September 2007

Disaster...

Disaster.....fogot to charge my camera battery so no photos.

Really interesting morning class with Dean Mandel. We had each been asked to break down a scene from the Apartment into beats, objectives, actions and obstacles. it really helped in developing dialogue to use with an actor and to breakdown a script in a simple technical way.

Dean Mandel asked a what we would do if we had two scenes in a restaurant separated by a cut away scene. Well the answers ranged from shoot both scenes at once ie all from one angle then restage and shoot from the other, it depends upon the production and time constraints. Dean Mandel answered by saying in TV you would have to'crank' through it, shoot all from one side and the other. But thats not what he wants at the AFI, he said 'it's our opportunity to be like Billy Wilder or Francis Ford Coppolla' Treat each scene separately, as an art form and get the best you can. There will be far to many career moments when you have to 'crank through it.' This is the place to put your passion into the art.

We then had an hours grip and elctrical talk - effectively an over view of the lighting equipment the school has.

Production meeting to iron out last prblems. Sophie was unfortunately late as she witnessed a stabbing on Melrose. A young girl had her mobile snatched by two black lads, She refused to let go and was stabbed in broad daylight!

John and Fanshen came in to meet and for us to go through backstory. It was a really useful meeting and allowed them to get to knwo each other before tomorrow's shoot. Really impressed with their commitment - it's such a pleasure to be back working with actors.



Home and watched John Huston's 'The Ashphalt Jungle'. Thinking of shooting a scene from 'Black Sheep' for cycle 2 or 3 as a Film Noir.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bastard! You are jeopardising my career.

I'm sitting here at work doing my budgets for next year - which are due today.

So naturally I start reading your blog over lunch and before I know it, I've read about surfboards, how you wilt like a wet lettuce leaf without Julia and, and finally I come to my senses in when I'm reading about your new car - in August.

I have to go now - there's a reason they call it work, and I intend to discover what that reason is.

Glad it's going well for you - congrats on the scholarship!

Damian