Monday 3 September 2007

I miss my best friend.


Really pleased I bought a surf board. Fantastic to be doing something physical and away from the city and film. The water is fantastic and very calming. I am finding that I am getting some of my best ideas re story and choices by focusing on something totally physical and consuming. But it doesn't beat spending five minutes with my wife. Skype has been fantastic. Julia doesn't have a web cam at work so the image on my screen is as above. Weird thing is when we have spoken on the webcam it is really difficult to hang up. Seeing someones eyes makes all the difference and however strong or reserved you are about being apart you can't lie in the eyes. The good thing is it reminds me how lucky I am and I can't wait for thanks giving. Also the week we had before college started was brilliant. Lets have more. I am starting to find people whose company I like, but its not the same, there isn't the same connection. Julia's blog is at http://julia-london.blogspot.com/ on it she says she even misses me winding her up! Well when I was back in London Julia would always wake up and insist on immediatley having a conversation when I was still half asleep, with a monosyllabic grunt I would try and put her off until I was fully functional. Funny how things get reversed, now as soon as I wake up I go on to Skype and speak to Julia at work, so at times she grunts and says she has to get back to work and we speak latter!

Spoke to Piers today, was brilliant to catch up. Really disappointed I won't make his 40th birthday.

So what's happening in LA. Weather is roasting, it is so hot even the locals are commenting. Down to Santa Monica and a few hours of surfing with Nick. Then back to Los Feliz to meet up with Jeff Bierman from Philadelphia. He has a really impressive show reel which, mistakenly, I thought he hadn't DP, but was stuff he had gaffered. So when we went through it and he explained that he had lit and shot I was stunned.

Afterwards helped Nick out as he hasn't found a car yet. Off to best buy to get him a fridge and then Ikea. Nick is also without electricity at the moment, so his flat is like a furnace.

Found out that all weekend people have been holding production meetings trying to lure people onto their projects. From all accounts it sounds intense and a real waste of a great long weekend. Lots of ultimatums and deadlines. I have spent some time with some great people. Will see.

Time for a cup of tea.

2 comments:

Catherine L said...

Love the photos Martin. I didn't know LA could look so great! Funny you've become a surfing dude

Becks said...

Martin - have just spent the afternoon reading your blog from start to end - Kirsty told me she was addicted and I got jealous that I hadn't even looked yet! LA looks and sounds just like your heroine - media perfect on the outside but wih some serious flaws hidden away underneath...Have you found a cheap health food retailer yet?!